Tourism – Ljubljana Castle
Date of issue: 11.03.2022
Author: Luka Seme
Motive: Ljubljana Castle
Printed by: Agencija za komercijalnu djelatnost d.o.o., Zagreb, Croatia
Printing Process and Layout: 4-colour offset in sheets of 25 stamps
Paper: Tullis Russell Chancellor Litho PVA RMS GUM, 102 g/m2
Size: 42.60 x 29.82 mm
Perforation: Comb 14 : 14
Ljubljana Castle is not just one of the symbols of the capital city, but also one of the most visited tourist attractions in Slovenia. Early testaments to the castle date back to the 12th century, although the castle hill had already been settled in prehistoric times. In the early Middle Ages a wooden fortification stood here. When the castle was a possession of the Carinthian noble family of Spanheim, up until the second half of the 13th century, a fortress had already been built, and it underwent a remodelling and change in appearance during the reign of Emperor Frederick III, the Habsburg monarch, in the second half of 15th century. That period also saw the construction of the tower, which today houses the outstanding Strelec Restaurant, and the ceremonial seat of the Honourable Wine Brotherhood.
Among the various spaces in the castle, mention should be made of the Chapel of St George, which was consecrated in 1489 and is decorated with Baroque paintings of coats of arms. In the 17th and 18th centuries the castle served as a military storehouse, barracks and hospital, and from the end of the 19th century until the end of the Second World War it was a penal institution with jail cells. In 1914 the writer Ivan Cankar, who was a fierce opponent of Austria-Hungary, was locked up here. In 1905 the castle was purchased by the City of Ljubljana, with apartments arranged in it.
The castle restoration, which began in 1963, along with new features and the construction of a funicular car, led to the castle becoming a much visited location, offering a variety of cultural and culinary attractions, plus walks around the castle hill, views of the city and tours of the castle vineyard. And growing in the castle courtyard is a descendant of the oldest vine in the world, which is in the Lent district of Maribor.
Prof. Dr Janez Bogataj