200th Anniversary of the National Museum of Slovenia
Date of issue: 24.09.2021
Author: Marko Prah
Motive: 200th Anniversary of the National Museum of Slovenia
Printed by: Agencija za komercijalnu djelatnost d.o.o., Zagreb, Croatia
Printing Process and Layout: 5-colour offset in sheets of 25 stamps
Paper: Tullis Russell Chancellor Litho PVA RMS GUM, 102 g/m2
Size: 29.82 x 42.60 mm
Perforation: Comb 14 : 14
200 YEARS OF THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SLOVENIA
200 Years of the National Museum of Slovenia
The National Museum of Slovenia is the oldest museum in Slovenia. The idea of founding a national museum dates far back into the past, when the first steps in that direction were taken by Baron Žiga (Sigmund) Zois and his circle in the Age of Enlightenment. The direct trigger, however, came in 1821, when the participants of the famous Congress of the Holy Alliance in Ljubljana (aka the Congress of Laibach) drew attention to the fact that the Duchy of Carniola did not have a museum of its own. A proposal was put to the Provincial Estates, which on 15 October 1821 formally adopted the decision to establish a local museum. In the related proclamation, they emphasised that this proposed temple of culture would collect all manner of items relating to the nation’s creativity, the history of the province, national literature, man-made artefacts and the priceless riches of nature.
In its very first decade the museum received valuable donations including antiques belonging to mayor Johann Nepomuk Hradeczky, Jože Repežič’s numismatic collection, the ethnographic collections of Bishop Frederic Baraga and the missionary Ignatius Knoblecher, Zois’s collection of minerals and Hohenwart’s collection of shells. The museum’s collection also grew as a result of major archaeological discoveries. In October 1831 the museum moved from its first home in a house on Salendrova Ulica into the Lyceum building. The cornerstone of the present museum building was laid on 14 July 1883.
National Museum of Slovenia